Good morning, readers! Bazaar Bizarre 2010 is now just two short weeks away. You’re probably looking for more crafty vendors to add to your must-visit list, so take a look at the cozy work of Sara and Phil of Rocks and Salt Design.
1. Hi there! First things first: What’s your name, what’s your business name, where are you from, and where are you currently located/crafting?
We are Sara and Phil from Rocks and Salt. We work out of our studio in Brooklyn, NY.
2. How did you get your start? Please tell us a little bit about how your business went from an idea to what is is today.
With professional skills ranging from natural foods cheffery to music, we were well qualified to start a little cut and sew millinery business when we began five years ago. Kudos to Sara’s Mom for teaching her how to sew as a child.
3. What inspires you the most to create?
Textures, colors, and samba.
4. What are your favorite materials to work with? Do you have a favorite color palette?
As the seasons change, it is always a pleasure to move to the fabrics of the season; cotton, linen, and silk in the Spring, and warm wool and cashmere come Fall.
5. Who are some of your favorite indie artist/crafters and why do you love them?
6. Any exciting future plans or developments in the works for your business? (Nothing TOP-SECRET, of course!)
This Spring we began making skirts, which has been fun and different for us; maybe something more along those lines in the future.
7. What are some other things you like to do when you are not busy making awesome stuff?
Go to the beach!
8. What are the top 3 reasons someone shopping at the BBB 2010 should be sure to stop by your table?
- It’s going to be a long cold winter and we’ve got the perfect to keep your noggin’ warm.
- We’ll also have some really cute skirts that are comfy and look great with boots and leggings.
- It’s our first time at BBB and we’re really excited.
9. What is your favorite background noise to listen to while working?
- WFUV’s The Alternate Side
10. Where do you do your (craft) work? (e.g. in a studio, in the living room, a spare bedroom, the floor, kitchen table – what’s your work area like?)
In our live/work loft.
11. If you had to contribute something you made to a time capsule to be opened in 2110, what would it be and why?
A slice of my vegan pumpkin pie; come on over at Thanksgiving and you’ll find out why.
Thanks, Sara and Phil! Looking forward to seeing your wares in a few weeks!
xo The Bazaar Bizarre organizers